While Engagements, Reach/Impressions Engagement Rate are a common insights metric, there’s no standard way to measure it - this article will add transparency to the way these insights metrics are calculated with Emplifi.
This article is structured as follows:
- Important notes - to read before, and if necessary, during and after going through the metrics descriptions. It will help you understand possible data discrepancies that you might find later.
- Engagement Metrics
- Reach Engagement Rate Metrics
- Impressions Engagement Rate Metrics
- Where to find these metrics
- Post-level - All metrics mentioned in this article are post-level metrics.
Click here to know more about these types of metrics.
- Insights metrics - All metrics mentioned in this article are Insights metrics. For this reason, insights need to be connected to those owned pages to process and display the data correctly. This factor has special relevance for Facebook data because insights Reactions, insights Comments, Reach and Impressions collect data also from posts that were shared by other profiles.
Find how to connect your insights here.
- Shared Insights posts for Instagram Influencers are also counted as Owned Content and therefore included in the metric.
- Important Restrictions for Instagram Data - Metric using IG Story Replies, IG Engagements, IG Reach Engagement Rate, and IG Impressions Engagement Rate might be equal to zero for pages based in Europe or Japan
Click here to access the source.
- Organic and Boosted data - About the metrics mentioned in this article:
- Facebook and Twitter return Organic & Boosted data for their posts
- Instagram and Youtube return Organic data only for their posts
- Content Weight (for average calculation)- Each content piece weight as 1 regardless of the platform, content type, etc. So, for instance, if we want to calculate the Reach Engagement Rate of 2 posts (one from FB and another from IG), we need to then divide by 2, counting with the average.
In this case, Reach Engagement Rate will be calculated as RER = (FB RER + IG RER)/2. The same is applied for Engagements and Impressions Engagement Rate.
Engagements inform about how many times users engaged with a post during their lifetime. The Engagements metric shows organic & boosted data.
- Note that Instagram and Youtube metrics calculate organic data only.
Engagements = FB Engagements + TW Engagements + IG Engagements + YT Engagements
The sum of reactions, comments, shares, and post clicks - Organic & boosted data.
Facebook Engagements = Reactions + Comments + Shares + Post Clicks
The sum of likes, comments, saves, and story replies - Organic data only.
Instagram Engagements = Likes + Comments + Saves + Story Replies
The total number of times a user interacted with a Tweet - Clicks anywhere on the Tweet, including Retweets, replies, follows, likes, links, cards, hashtags, embedded media, username, profile photo, or Tweet expansion - Organic & Boosted data.
The total number of times a user interacted with a Video - Organic data only.
Youtube Engagements = Likes + Dislikes + Comments + Shares
Reach Engagement Rate Metrics
Reach Engagement Rate
Reach Engagement Rate informs about the percentage of users who engaged with a post during its lifetime given its reach. This metric shows organic & boosted data (note that Instagram metrics gather organic data only).
This formula sums the Reach ER across multiple posts and divides it by the number of posts. Ultimately, the value is transformed in percentage.
Facebook Reach Engagement Rate
The sum of Facebook post Engagements divided by Reach - Organic & boosted data.
Instagram Reach Engagement Rate
The sum IG post Engagements divided by Reach - Organic data only.
Impressions Engagement Rate Metrics
Impressions Engagement Rate
Impressions Engagement Rate informs about the percentage of users who engaged with a post during its lifetime given its impressions. The Impressions Engagement Rate metric shows organic & boosted data (note that Instagram metrics gather organic data only).
This formula sums the Impressions ER across multiple posts and divides by the number of posts. Ultimately, the value is transformed in percentage.
Facebook Impressions Engagement Rate
The sum of Facebook post engagements, divided by Impressions. The FB Reach Engagement Rate metric shows organic & boosted data.
Instagram Reach Engagement Rate
The sum of Instagram post engagements, divided by Impressions - Organic data only.
Twitter Impressions Engagement Rate
The sum of Twitter engagements, divided by Impressions - Organic & boosted data.
Finding These Metrics in Emplifi
You can find these metrics in the following Emplifi modules:
- Content Feed
- Public API
Finding these metrics in our public API
The guide here will show you how to get access to our public API. Below is a list of where to find the metrics in the latest version of our public API:
- insights_engagements (supporting FB, IG, TW, YT)
- insights_impressions_engagement_rate (supporting FB, IG, TW)
- insights_reach_engagement_rate (supporting FB, IG)
Q: Do Engagement Metrics return data also for Facebook Unpublished posts?
A: Yes, they do. Engagements is returning Facebook Unpublished Posts data in both Content Feed, Dashboard, and Public API.
Q: Are we able to filter out Facebook Published and Unpublished Post Data?
A: Currently, Facebook Published/Unpublished filters are available in Content Feed. It is not available in Dashboard and Public API yet.
Q: What is the difference between Interactions-based metrics and Engagements-based metrics?
A: Interactions belong to our historical offering of metrics. This metric uses primarily public data that is favoring the benchmarking of Owned Profile and also Competitive profile performances.
Also, Interactions are limited in terms of metrics used. Being this a primarily public metric, we can only get a limited amount of metrics from public profiles (e.g. IG likes and comments, FB reactions, comments, and shares, YT likes, dislikes and comments).
The same reasoning can be extended to Interactions per 1k and Engagement Rate. Both these metrics are using a combination of public metrics (Interactions and Profile Followers) to calculate the respective rates (see here for more details about Interactions per 1k and Engagement Rate).
On the other hand, Engagements, Reach Engagement Rate and Impressions Engagement Rate are Insights-only metrics, providing a more in-depth view of the data for owned content. In concrete terms, using Insights metrics means:
- FB Insights Reactions and Comments return also engagements from Shared Posts (owned post shared by another profile) while their public counterparts do not have this extended data.
- More metrics are available to calculate Engagements such as Post Clicks for FB, Engagements for TW, Saves, and Story Replies for IG, and Shares for YT). Reach and Impressions are available for calculating Reach Engagement Rate and Impressions Engagement Rate, giving a narrower view on the rates depending on the unique audience (Reach) or Impressions of the specific posts or group of posts. These metrics are not available for Public content.