The following guide describes the updated Origin of Content filter and the new behavior in Dashboard and Content Hub. It also describes any migration implications to the already existing widgets where Origin of Content filters are applied.
Origin of Content – Before the Update
Previously, there were three possible filtering options for Origin of Content:
- From a Profile - this option showed all content created via the social profile that's connected or that you're monitoring
- To a Profile - this option showed all incoming content posted to a social profile (e.g., posts from Facebook fans or Twitter mentions).
- None (default) - if no Origin of Content filter was selected, the user saw both incoming and outgoing content.
The previous default state across Content Hub and Dashboard was set to None, meaning that unless an Origin of Content filter was applied, the user would see all incoming and outgoing content.
Origin of Content Update – What’s New?
1. New, Simplified Names
To make it easier to distinguish between the different filter options, they have been given new, simplified names.
- From a Profile is now called Brand’s content
- To a Profile is now called User-generated content
- None is now covered by the new option – All content
2. Brand’s Content Is the New Default
Direct client research shows that 99% of users want to analyze Brand’s Content by default. That’s why the new default state is Brand’s Content.
To simplify the above explanation, check the table below:
What Do the Changes Mean in Practice?
So, let’s see how the new filter impacts your everyday workflow. During the data analysis you can now switch between three different options:
- Brand’s content (default) - this is the new default behavior. If none of the other two filters is applied, all content created and published by your own social page or by the social page you’re monitoring will be displayed.
- User-generated content: by selecting this option, Socialbakers’ users can only see content posted on the brand’s pages by other users (posts from Facebook fans and Twitter mentions).
- All content: this filter displays a combination of Brand’s content and User-generated content.
How to Use the New Origin of Content Filter in Content Hub
If no filter is selected, Socialbakers Suite uses the default Brand’s Content, and no filter card is displayed in the search bar.
On the other hand, user-generated content and All content have their own filter cards in the search bar. So in case you manually select All content, you will see the little filter card appear in your search bar (see image below). Please note that you can only apply one filter at once.
How to Use the New Origin of Content Filter in Dashboard Widgets
If no filter is selected, Socialbakers Suite uses the default Brand’s Content, and no filter card is displayed in the Dashboard Wizard.
On the other hand, User-generated content and All content have their own filter cards. So in case you manually select All content, you will see the little filter card appear in a separate line in your Dashboard Wizard (see image below). Please note that you can only apply one filter at once.
Flexible Widgets Migration
To make the transition as smooth as possible, the new filters are automatically applied to previously created Flexible Widgets. There are four different ways the new filter might affect your existing widgets:
Case 1 – if the Origin of Content was ‘None’
Flexible Widgets where no Origin of Content was selected were migrated to Origin of Content: Brand’s Content (default).
This means that the data might have changed because the new default behavior (Brand’s Content) includes only content that was posted from the social profile, whereas previous behaviour (None) included outgoing as well as incoming content.
Exception: Flexible widgets where Origin of Content was selected as a Breakdown were migrated to Origin of Content: All Content. This way, they still display the breakdown correctly.
Case 2 – if the Origin of Content was From a Profile
Flexible Widgets that had the Origin of Content: From a Profile filter applied preserve their configuration. They now display Brand’s content.
Case 3 – if the Origin of Content was To a Profile
Flexible Widgets that had the Origin of Content: To a Profile filter applied preserve their configuration. They now display User-generated content.
Case 4 – if the Origin of Content was From a Profile + To a Profile
Flexible widgets both Origin of Content filters applied will preserve their configuration. But, they now display All content instead.
In case you have any questions or doubts regarding the origin of the data you’re receiving on your reports, please contact your customer success manager or our support at firstname.lastname@example.org.