This guide will give you a solid understanding of how to monitor Owned Facebook pages along with its data connections, such as insights and publishing permissions in your Socialbakers Suite Account.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Adding Owned Facebook Pages to Socialbakers Suite
Before adding a Facebook page as Private, or connecting its insights and publishing permissions, be sure you fulfill two major prerequisites:
- The Facebook page has to be either Business/Brand or Community/Public Figure (personal profiles won’t be added)
- The user attempting to add the owned page as Private has to have the correct Facebook Page role assigned.
The table below shows which page roles a user may have in order to connect insights or publishing with Socialbakers:
Double-check the Facebook Page Roles & Permissions guide here.
2. Now that you know what’s needed to add a Facebook page as Private, press the +Add a Social Profile button found at the top right corner of your Socialbakers Suite Account.
3. A pop-up window will appear. Here, you have the option of adding Private and Public profiles.
4. Click on Add Private Profiles. When adding pages as Private, depending on the Facebook Page role assigned, the insights and/or the publishing permissions will connect. It requires a login to the user’s Facebook profile in order to complete the authorization.
5. Press Connect Facebook
6. A Facebook login will be required in order to confirm if a user has the necessary permissions to create reliable access to Facebook Insights or Publishing.
- Important: If you’re already logged in to a Facebook account in your browser, the login authentication step might be automatic, and the fill-in of the credentials won’t be necessary.
This might cause trouble with the confirmation of the users’ page roles from Facebook in case you’re logged in to an undesired (in terms of this connection) Facebook profile.
Let’s say, for example, that you have 2 different Facebook Profiles: your personal profile (without access to your company’s Facebook Page) and a profile created specifically for your job/activity (with admin access to your company’s Facebook Page).
→ You are currently logged in your personal Facebook profile and attempt to add a Facebook page as private to your Socialbakers Suite Account.
→ Plainly speaking, our platform will detect which Facebook session you’re currently logged on and analyze whether the page role has sufficient rights to share private data with Socialbakers.
→ However, since your personal Facebook profile doesn’t possess such permissions to your company’s Facebook Page, it will result in an error.
To avoid any issues or errors with the login authentication step, it’s recommended that you:
- Either log out from all of your current Facebook sessions and try to connect your page as private again —> This time, you should be prompted to log in with your Facebook account, on a new window;
- Or, open an incognito window in your internet browser (find how here), and continue to step 7.
(The incognito window works as a separate browser, and it doesn’t keep any of the active Facebook sessions from your regular browser windows.
If you were already using the incognito window, and logged on a Facebook profile through it, the session will be kept until logout.)
7. Enter your Facebook login credentials.
- If it’s the first time you’re attempting a Facebook connection with Socialbakers, you will be asked to allow our platform to access all the relevant data required (please allow!).
- If it’s not the first time, you should simply be asked to log in to your Facebook profile, since the access to all the relevant data required was previously granted.
8. If the credentials are correct, and if your Facebook Page roles are detected as sufficient, the page will be added along with its Insights and/or Publishing Permissions.
- Let’s say, for example, that for this specific Facebook page, you have the Moderator page role assigned, meaning that you don’t have sufficient permissions to connect the publishing permissions with Socialbakers Suite.
In such cases, only the page’s insights will be connected and the page will be added as private (owned). The publishing permissions can be added later by a user with either Admin, or Editor Page Role assigned to his/her Facebook profile.
What if the connections were not successful?
If you run into any issues connecting your private data, please remember: it won’t be possible to add a page as Private if the user doesn’t meet the 2 major prerequisites stated above.
Consider the following steps:
A. If you receive an error mentioning that your Facebook login does not have the correct Page role:
- Double-check that you’ve used the correct Facebook login.
- Double-check if your Facebook Page role meets the requisites.
B. Remove Socialbakers’ Business Integrations from your Facebook Profile:
- Go to your Facebook profile
- Press Settings
- Press Business Integrations
- Pick the Socialbakers.com Business Integration
- Press Remove
Once Socialbakers’ Business Integration is removed from your Facebook profile, the platform will lose connection with the previously granted access to the relevant data.
- Try to add the Facebook page again